NE FIRST Weeks 3 & 4 Events Cancelled
Dear FIRST Robotics Competition Teams and Volunteers,
I am writing to share the disappointing news that as a result of the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, we have decided to cancel NE FIRST events occurring this coming weekend (March 13-15) and the following weekend (March 20-22). I know this is a change from the email we sent earlier today.
Given the Governors of both Connecticut and Massachusetts have declared a State of Emergency and the directive by Connecticut schools is not to host gatherings of 100 people or more, we feel the need to proceed with an abundance of caution, and with the health and safety of our community in mind.
The cancelled events include:
- FLLJr Expo, March 14, All Saints Catholic School, Norwalk, CT
- FLLJr Expo, March 14, Reading Memorial High School, Reading, MA
- FLLJr Expo, March 15, Curley K-8 School, Jamaica Plain, MA
- FLLJr Expo, March 15, Xavier High School, Middletown, CT
- FRC North Shore District Event, March 13-15, Reading High School
- FRC WPI District Event, March 20-22, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- FRC Western NE District Event, March 20-22, Western New England University
On behalf of the entire NE FIRST team, this is difficult news to share. I was looking forward to seeing you all and watching you compete. I know you are frustrated. I know you have questions. This is a rapidly evolving situation and we are all doing our best to make decisions that are in everyone’s best interest both on and off the field of play. I promise I will share information with you as it is shared with me.
We will assess the situation on a week-by-week basis to determine the status of events in the coming weeks, as well as the New England District Championship. We recognize that teams have put an enormous amount of work into preparing for this event and we regret having to share such disappointing news.
FIRST team support can help your team identify alternative events and be reached at email@example.com should you have any further questions.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate the situation across our six New England states.
Peace & robots,
Interim Executive Director